Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Paperback Clichés and Inspirations

Bjorn Checking the Surf

Paperback philosophies might be cheap and simple, but they contain idealised truths, values we could or maybe should all try to live by.


Bj looking for a barrel
Too often I found that by the time the weekend rolled around, I was so tired from doing all the things I had to do, that I hardly had the energy or motivation to do the things I wanted to do. And it’s depressing. It would probably be depressing for most people, but I’m introspective by nature so I tend to dwell on it. Mulling it over, until all I could focus on is what I had to do, and that became crippling. Eventually I couldn’t even do what I had to.

So clearly I needed a change. I needed something to kick me out of the rut, an experience to reaffirm that we can shape out essential activities around what we want to do. Yes, we all (well let’s face it barring a massive lotto win) need to work. But we don’t all have to hate what we do. And even if our occupations are deathly dull, it doesn’t mean we have to take that drudgery home in the evening.

Pat, trying to contort into a heavy section
For me a recent weekend was the catalyst for change that I needed. A weekend with the boys, surfing a semi-secret spot with just us five in the water all day, followed by a day of skating a secluded road through the cape fynbos. It made me realise, that while my thesis is currently stalled on the back straight with little left to inspire me to drag it over the line, it needs to be done; I need to finish and move on. So that I can write more about things which inspire me, excite me, entice me to get out; to live, to love. It’s all so terribly clichéd, but that is the very nature of paperback philosophies. You’ve heard it all before. But acting on it is the difficult part and you know that for your own happiness you must act.

Myself, Ricki, Bjorn and Pat, Hanging in Betty's
So from here on out I’m endeavouring to work hard and play harder, to dedicate myself to this bitch of a thesis from eight to five and to dedicate myself to myself for the rest. And when it’s done, I’ll find something else to throw myself into. Something to pay my bills (not writing for a free publication…) so I can surf, and skate, and party, and travel, and take up all the activities I couldn’t afford on my measly student budget.

Now I’m sure it won’t be easy all the time. Doing what you really want to never is. But I’d like to challenge you to do the same. And if your enthusiasm levels drop and you need inspiration take a look at my friend Michael Baleta’s blog: our-energie If you and I can live with half as much as passion as Mike, we’ll go to bed exhausted but happy every night. And more than that what can you really ask from life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment